Scented candles are the perfect treat for relaxing with and filling your space with gorgeous fragrance. But it helps to know what’s in that dreamy fragrance that’s wafting through your home. Do you know what ingredients are in your favourite scented candle? Read on to find out!
There’s lots of information out there around candle toxicity but making the right choices in candle creation can help make candles safe for you and your home. Here at Holistic London all the materials used in candle production have been carefully chosen to be kind to you and the planet. Here are a few of the ways we’ve made our candles safer…
WHAT’S IN CANDLE WAX?
- OTHER BRANDS: Paraffin - Paraffin is the most popular base used in candles, especially in cheaper products. Paraffin is extracted from the ground as a by-product of the oil industry and because of this is extremely wasteful and not sustainable. Paraffin also gives off more black soot whilst burning which can irritate the lungs, aggravate the skin and cause air pollution in your home.
- WHAT WE USE: Soy – Soy wax is completely natural and vegan, making it great for plant-based shoppers. It’s also our choice for wax! Our soy is not genetically modified and is biodegradable. Making this a great choice for protecting the environment and the animals in it. Not to mention, soy wax also burns slower giving you more time with your favourite scent!
WHAT'S IN CANDLE WICKS?
- OTHER BRANDS: Lead based wick – Many candles use metal or lead in their wicks to help the wick stand up straight. Whilst this material is efficient, it gives off small amounts of lead which you then breath in and can be toxic.
- WHAT WE USE: Cotton wick – For our candles we’ve chosen a cotton and paper spun wicks as they don’t give off any chemicals and ensure a gentle and steady burn.
WHAT'S IN THE FRAGRANCE?
- Essential Oils – Essential oils offer a well-known host of wellbeing and aromatherapy benefits and can be applied through various different methods. However essential oils can be toxic in high doses, so we use them carefully and with consideration for the environment.
- Fragrance Oils - For some scents we combine Essential oils with Fragrance oils to help to throw the scent further and more richly. Fragrance oils also help reduce the need for mass farming of plants or flours which makes them a win-win!
IFRA Compliant Fragrances - It's also important to note that all Holistic London fragrances comply with IFRA standards. The IFRA Standards form the basis for the globally accepted and recognised risk management system for the safe use of fragrance ingredients and are part of the IFRA Code of Practice. This helps us fulfil our commitment to provide products that are safe for use by our consumers and to the environment.
We believe that scent is key to making a house a home. But it helps to know what you’re burning when you let your favourite fragrance drift through your home. We hope this guide has helped you understand a bit more about what goes into making a candle and how we at Holistic London make products safe for the planet and our customers. ❤️